Fun Things To Do - April 2021
· Please inform parent or Big of any recent travel or potential contact with a COVID-exposed individual so everyone can make an informed decision that is best for themselves and their families.
· Contact us and let us know how you are staying connected for a chance to appear on our social media sites or website.
o Public Service Match Challenge: Great American Cleanup Don’t Mess with Texas Trash Off.
· Join Keep Midland Beautiful in the 23rd Annual National Spring Community Cleanup Event. Register at Keep Midland Beautiful - Great American Cleanup/Don't Mess With Texas
· Take a match selfie cleaning up Midland and send it to your Mentoring Specialist to win a prize.
Big Brothers Big Sisters has two raised planting beds available at the office. If you and your Little would like to use one to plant flowers or vegetables, please contact your mentoring specialist. First come, first served.
Community and School-Based + Activities
· Centennial Park and the Micro Market – Grab a bite to eat and take it picnic style at the park. The park features game tables, dog park, splash pad, and children’s nature play.
§ Yoga in the Park – Bring your own mat and meet Saturday April 10th at 10am on the grass of Centennial Park for a free community yoga session.
§ Lo. Street Market by Micro Market – Come check out these outdoor vendors April 24th 10am-6pm at Centennial Park.
· Ellen Noel Art Museum
§ Adventures in Art: Students ages 6-12 years old will get to take inspiration from nature and from artists to design a group-led onsite installation.
§ Sunday April 11th from 2:30-4:30pm.
§ Cost is $20 (Scholarships available)
§ Advanced registration by phone at 432-550-9696 ext. 213
§ Community Art Day – Enjoy fun activities for all ages centered around the exhibit Women Artists: Four Centuries of Creativity.
§ Saturday, April 24th, 1:30pm – 3:30pm
§ Current Exhibitions
§ Women Artists: Four Centuries of Creativity
· March 18th – May 30th
§ Annual ECISD Student Art Exhibition
· High School: April 3rd - 17th
· Middle School: April 30th – May 15th
· Midland Festival Ballet – Accompanied by the Midland-Odessa Symphony & Chorale
§ Doors open 6:30pm, April 17th
§ Reserve tickets at Midland Festival Ballet | Wagner Noël (wagnernoel.com)
· Nature Centers
§ I-20 Wildlife Preserve and Jenna Welch Nature Study Center located 2201 S. Midland Dr.
§ Sibley Nature Center located 1307 E Wadley Ave.
· Midland Downtown Farmers Market -Every Saturday, 8am to 12pm. 1705 W. Missouri Midland, TX
· Lunar Golf – Indoor glow-in-the-dark miniature golf at Midland Park Mall.
· Bush Tennis Center – Open to matches
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and note you are with Big Brothers Big Sister and she will get you a court.
· Midland Centennial and Downtown Library Exhibits and Events
§ Teen Bookmark Contest – Winners’ artwork will be distributed at Midland County Public Libraries throughout the summer.
§ Entry Form and Rules- https://www.co.midland.tx.us/DocumentCenter/View/4116/2020-Apr_Teen-bookmark-contest?bidId=
§ Prizes will be awarded for the top two.
§ Gussied Up: Gettysburg Fashion: Presentation on 1860s fashion with Civil War re-enactor Susan Mahoney.
§ Saturday, April 10th, 11:30am-12:30pm
§ 2503 W. Loop 250 N.
§ Beginner Drawing Class: Learn the basics of drawing! No experience necessary. Paper and pencil needed. April 14th, 4-5pm. Located at the Downtown Library. Register here, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdKh1NuXDT2wnt1SXwkJH7wbKwIyWQ4cw3lpeFU6gwkS-WE_w/viewform.
§ Cartoon Drawing Class: April 21st (Centennial Library) and 28th (Downtown Library) 4-5pm. Learn the basics of drawing cartoons. No experience necessary. Paper and pencil needed. Register here, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdKh1NuXDT2wnt1SXwkJH7wbKwIyWQ4cw3lpeFU6gwkS-WE_w/viewform.
§ Wicked Plants Exhibit – On display through May 2021 at the Centennial Library. A safe and hands-on experience with some of the world’s most diabolical botanicals. Visitors travel a Victorian era ramshackle home to learn about some of Mother Nature’s most appalling plant creations.
· Dome Shows at Blakemore Planetarium – Free admission for matches.
Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays at various times, check website.
· Permian Basin Petroleum Museum
§ Family Science Night 2GO – Free box equipped with all the materials and information you will need to conduct 10 hands-on science experiments and inventive projects with your Big/family.
§ Facebook demonstration on Thursday, April 15th, at 6:30pm on the Petroleum Museum Facebook Page.
§ Call 432-683-4403 for more info.
School-Based and Virtual Match Friendly Activities
· Conversation Starters: If you were a movie star, what kind of movie would you be in? If you could have a home anywhere in the world, where would you choose? What is something new you would like to learn or try?
· Express Your Gratitude Activity: Discuss with your Little what gratitude means. You and your Little can each choose one or more people to send a note of gratitude for. It can be a teacher, a neighbor, a friend, family member, or community helper. Expressing your gratitude to someone who isn’t expecting it can create so much goodwill and joy.
· Charades: One person chooses a word or phrase to act out (no talking or sounds permitted) and the other person tries to guess what it is. You could suggest a category for the words, or begin with action words.